Banana bread is a type of bread you want to try. The good thing about it is it can be baked at home. If you are not a regular baker, you might not have a regular baking dish to use.
If you are not sure if you should bake banana bread in a glass pan, you’ve probably asked yourself f it is possible, to read further to know more.
Yes, you can bake Banana bread in a glass pan. Glass Pan is commonly used by many households for baking. Ensure your glass pan is safe for the oven before use though the glass pan usually withstands a certain degree of temperature.
Using Glass Pans For Your Banana Bread
Many households own bakewares made of different materials. One of such common ones is one made with glass. Made of glass are getting increasingly common, especially due to their aesthetic value.
Glass pans take a while longer than they usually baked wares to heat up. This also means they can retain heat for a while longer. This gives glass pans time and room to brown bread well. If you like evenly baked brown bread, use a glass pan.
Another advantage of a glass pan is that its transparency reveals the browning of the bread. While the bread is still in the glass pan, you can tell when the banana bread is brown enough. You can also remove it from the oven when it’s getting too dark. You can tell when your bread is done.
Is Glass Pan Ideal For Baking?
While many curious minds may have the answer to their questions, another question to ask is is it ideal to use glass pans? Should a glass pan be the ideal choice for Banana bread?
It is feasible to make delightful banana bread in a glass loaf pan. But if you’re not cautious, your bread can be quite dark on the sides. Glass pans frequently make the bread browner than usual.
About being ideal, the answer is no.
Banana Bread & Glass Pans
Making banana bread in a glass pan is different from baking with regular metal pans. It takes ended time to make banana bread in a glass pan than it does in a metal pan.
This means using the glass pan will require some changes in comparison to using metal pans or regular baking pans. Changes will be in temperature and baking time. It is recommended to lessen the temperature by about 20-30 degrees. Baking time could be reduced by 5 minutes.
This is dependent on the temperature. A close eye must be kept on it while baking. It is recommended to constantly check if the banana bread is done. Relying on the reduced temperature and baking time may not be the best.
Baking Banana Bread in a Glass Pan
In baking banana bread in a glass pan, there are a few that you must know:
- Graciously apply oil to the glass pan else It will be extra difficult to release the bread from the glass pan.
- The pan may maintain ain a brown color even after it has been washed. This does not equate to using abrasives or harsh sponges on the glass pan. Doing this will only do more harm.
- Handle your glass pan with care before, during, and after baking.
- Glass can shatter when it has undergone sudden thermal changes. This means the probability for your hot glass pan to shatter when put under running cold tap water or any type of cold water is high. The same is experienced when a cold glass pan from the refrigerator or freezer is immediately put in hot water.
- Glass pans are thicker than regular metal pans.
Baking Pan Alternatives For Banana Bread
There are several choices other than glass pans. Let’s take a look at these other alternatives. They include:
1. Aluminum Pans
Aluminum loaf pans are adequate conductors of heat, they function well to bake and bread banana bread. They are also light in weight. They can be used as regular baking pans. They can be washed in the dishwasher though when hand-washed. It is best to use the nonstick ones “release” bread more than nonstick Types.
2. Silicone Pans
Silico pans are an incredibly useful baking alternative for banana bread. You can also use the dishwasher to clean them without any damage. There are a few drawbacks to using silicone pans
Firstly, a silicone pan is not a good conductor of heat, so the browning of the bread does not attain optimal results. The banana bread may turn out less brown than it ought to be.
Another shortcoming of silicone pans is that they are a bit tough to deal with. In dealing with it, one thing should be practiced; that involves fixing a baking sheet initially before adding the batter.
This makes it easier to take out of the oven. It’s better to allow the bread to cool first before it comes out of the silicon pan. This is to retain the shape.
3. Stainless Steel Loaf Pans
Stainless stain is another good alternative to making banana bread. You can grease the pan with a small amount of oil to avoid it sticking to the pan. An advantage is that it can be washed in the dishwasher.
An Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- A quarter cup of softened butter
- A three-quarters cup of sugar
- Two large eggs
- A bundle of overripe banana
- Half a cup of low-fat sour cream
- A quarter cup of Flour
- One teaspoon of cinnamon
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Three-quarter teaspoon of baking soda
- Flavour and toppings of your choice
- Mix all wet ingredients starting from the butter to the mashed bananas. Ensure to mash banana properly before addition. Mix each one after another while whipping the mixture
- Mix all dry ingredients
- Slowly add all ingredients together and stir properly.
- Swirl and blend the dough. You can at this point add the flavor and toppings of your choice. Add the combinations to the pan after it has been lubricated.
- Place your glass pan in the oven to bake at 300-350°C for 40-50 minutes. Check with a toothpick to know if it’s done or not after 40 minutes.
- Once the bread is done. Bring the glass pan out of the oven. Set it to cool for 15-20 minutes before you begin to unmould it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does Hot Glass Crack When in Cold Water?
The glass pan structure is distorted when it experiences a sudden thermal shock. This distortion causes the glass to shatter. This same experience happens when cold glass is put into hot water suddenly.
What Alternatives Is There To Sour Cream?
If you don’t have sour cream, you can use Greek Yoghurt while baking banana bread. This will suffice in enhancing the fluffiness of the banana bread.
I don’t Have Butter, What Can I Use?
In baking Banana bread, butter is essential as it enhances the proper mixing of ingredients. It also promotes fluffiness. Asides from that it also adds flavor to the bread. A good alternative is to use shortening.
What Should I Consider in Baking Banana Bread in Oven with A Glass Pan?
In baking with a glass pan, never forget to lower the temperature by about 20-30 degrees. Make sure to keep an eye on what’s in the oven before the bake time is over. This is to ensure that too much heat does not destroy the glass pan.
Glass pans are good for baking banana bread in the unavailability of other types of baking pans.
It is important to consider recipes that favor the use of glass pans and also follow them strictly.