Table of Contents Show
There has been a surge in the popularity of air fryers in recent years, and so also the need to know all the safety precautions that must be put in place. Air fryers offer a healthier alternative to deep fryers, which is one of the reasons they are popular. Although they are not better than conventional ovens, with proper care and usage, you do not have to worry about them spontaneously combusting.
Air fryers are convection ovens with even heat distribution which allows you to cook food at a low temperature in a matter of minutes, and there is no doubt that the option of dishes you can create with this appliance is endless.
No, you can’t put water in an air fryer but add it to the food in it. Putting water into the air fryer could lead to so much damage to your appliance, and even a fire hazard is not exempted. Adding a little bit of water to the food in the air fryer can help hydrate the food but do not fill your air fryer with water; it’s also a great way to avoid burned grease at the bottom.
Like most common household appliances, air fryers come with their dos and don’ts, which are essential for safety.
You don’t have to worry much about damaging your air fryer if you follow all its safety rules and precautions. But if you are planning on cleaning your air fryer with water or just wondering if water can be added to it, find out the answers below and more safety rules.
Parts of An Air Fryer Explained
All air fryers use the same technology and seem to be built in similar ways, but they tend to have different safety information depending on the manufacturer and brand. Regardless knowing each of the parts might make it a lot easier to clean and understand some of the essential maintenance tips that come with it.
- Heating coils: This is located on the top inside your air fryer, and it electrically creates the temperature for the air fryer.
- Fan: The fan is meant to distribute heat created by the heating element evenly. They are hidden behind a grid for safety reasons.
- Main Unit: The main unit holds all the electrical parts of the air fryer, so this part should never be submerged or come in contact with water.
- Vent: The vent is usually at the back of the air fryer, it is meant to prevent the air fryer from overheating.
- Cooking basket: It is the one removed for adding food, it should be cleaned regularly.
- Drip basket: Most air fryers have this drip basket which is meant for the collection and trimmings and drips from your food.
- Settings: This includes the buttons, screen, or settings for the air fryer, which is located at the main unit. This setting allows you to choose the temperature range, cooking time, and others.
Can You Put Water In An Air Fryer?
There is so much you can do in your air fryer, but boiling water is not one of it. Air fryers generally do not have a compartment for holding water, but some cooking methods might require you to use a small amount of water just to hydrate the food. You should only add a few tablespoons of water to the food in the air fryer and nothing more.
You should never boil water in an air fryer, this could lead to serious damage to the air fryer, the strong fans can cause the water to splatter, and this can potentially reach the electrical components and heating elements. So, it’s not a good idea to put water in an air fryer.
It does not mean you can’t ever add water to the air fryer, you can add a small amount when you need to reheat a baked item but putting water to boil rice or pasta is not one you should try. So, overall, a few teaspoons of water in an air fryer can cause no harm, but it has to be done properly
How to Safely Put Water In An Air Fryer
Attempting to boil water in an air fryer will no doubt damage your air fryer, but this does not mean you can’t use water in it; if you follow all the safety measures and ensure the quantity is very small, then you can avoid any damage. So, here is how you can safely use water in an air fryer.
- First, ensure the air fryer is unplugged and cooled down before you add any liquid to it
- Next, fill the measuring cup with cold water then slowly pour it into the basket (The amount of water you can put in an air fryer will also depend on the size and capacity of the appliance, most models allow ¼ cup of liquid without causing any issue).
- If your air fryer comes with trays, add the water to a small pan, then ensure it is as far away as possible from the heating element.
- Do not overfill the air fryer because this can cause damage to the air fryer or get in contact with the heating element.
It’s okay to add a small amount of water into an air fryer, it can help hydrate the food and avoid burned grease at the bottom of your air fryer. Check your user manual for instructions on how much water you can put inside.
There are lots of ways you can create delicious healthy foods in any air fryer, and that’s one of the reasons it’s becoming a must-have in many households.
But you do not want to cause permanent damage to it by ignoring safety tips. Putting water in an air fryer has to be done with a lot of care; you should also steam food in it only when it comes with the steamer settings.
So, a few teaspoons of water can be good for foods such as potatoes or vegetables to catch food drippings and prevent the formation of smoke. You should never fill the air fryer with water or any liquid!