Zucchini also called courgette or baby marrow is a summer squash, an edible fruit reaped when the seeds are still soft and edible.
It is believed to have originated in northern Italy in the nineteenth century. It is mainly considered a vegetable and is usually eaten as such. It can be baked, cooked, and sauteed. It tastes delicious either way you choose to make it. In baking, one readily uses butter for better dough.
One might wonder if the same can be done when baking Zucchini. Can I bake zucchini with butter? Can I use olive oil? Which is better butter or olive oil?
Yes, you can bake Zucchini with butter alone and alongside olive oil. It is great for a vegetable side dish, simple and quick.
Zucchini With Butter And Olive Oil
Many recipes use olive oil as the oil for baking zucchini. Butter can be used as well.
This butter has to be melted and salted. Salting is dependent on you. While many receipts use olive oil, some use both butter and olive oil. This combination is good as its result is a flavoury zucchini.
It is recommended to use both for amazing baked zucchini recipes. You can melt the butter in a pan and add the oil. This also prevents the butter from charring.
Easy Baked Zucchini Recipe
Baking Zucchini and quite easy. There is various way to spice up zucchini for a meal. Here is an easy recipe to good for you.
- Trim already washed Zucchini to your preferred shape. Long Slices are better especially to allow for much more surface area while baking. You won’t deny it’s a beauty to behold.
- Sprinkle the zucchini with melted butter, olive oil, salt, and pepper. You could use unsalted butter if you don’t want salted one.
- Add any other seasonings you like. Ensure to not overseason.
- Add some Parmesan. It makes a difference.
- Ensure you coat the zucchini thoroughly. lip to ensure the ingredients are every distributed.
- You can squeeze some lemon juice into the seasoned zucchini if desired. It gives an extra flavor and a pop.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400° F for 10-15 minutes.
Ingredients That Spice Up Zucchini
You will readily want to spice up your meals, this will cause you to use spices, herbs mainly flavourful ingredients. Find below, some for a spiced-up zucchini:
- Lemon Zest – a little handful of lemon zest puts in a brilliant pop of flavor.
- Diced Onion – some diced onions and zucchini more volume.
- Chopped Bell Peppers – zucchini and bell peppers are a great pair. The blend gives a fusion of amazing tasttastes.
- Mushrooms – this adds color to zucchini and is such a perfect blend.
- Parmesan Cheese – you can use cheese to give zucchini a cheesy look. This is perfect for baked zucchini.
How To Avoid Soggy Zucchini
Soggy Zucchini can be a result of overcooking. Overcooking any type of food strips nutrients from food. It also reduces the quality as you are left with something too soft for comfort.
Another reason is overcrowding the pan with too many long slices. When there’s no space on the pan, the slices will steam instead of bake.
Here are helpful tips:
1. Place the seasoned zucchini slices on a baking rack then put them on a baking sheet
This will elevate it. This will give room for air to disseminate. This allows for the zucchini to get caramelized and not soggy. Do not put too many slices on one rack. Try using other baking racks in the oven. If you have two racks, bake with those two at different positions in the oven.
Try interchanging the position halfway through baking to allow for proper baking.
2. Cut the slices large
The larger the slice, the lesser the propensity to overcook. Cut into long spear-like slices and big enough. You can get in any shape that you like. Ensure they are not too thin.
3. Do not bake for too long
If overbaking occurs, zucchini will get soggy. Zucchini has high water content and is more likely to overcook than other food and vegetables.
The water might trickle out and cause it to get too soft.
There is usually a need to keep food in the fridge or freezer, but zucchini should be stored elsewhere and not in the fridge or freezer. Due to its high water content, if stored in the fridge or freezer, it will get soggy after being thawed. It is best to cook what can be eaten on the go and at once.
If zucchini has to be chilled, there are ways to do so to avoid a mushy zucchini when you are ready to eat.
- Allow the baked slices to cook off before refrigerating.
- Arrange slices into an air-tight container or a resealable bag. Ensure to squeeze out the resealable bag to expel air.
- Refrigerate for not more than 4 days.
When you are ready to eat, do these east steps below:
- To thaw, ensure to allow it for a bit at room temperature but not too long.
- To reheat, place the slices on a baking sheet. Ensure the baking sheet is oiled.
- Do not overheat as the zucchini will become soggy.
- Heat at 400°F till it’s hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I cook Zucchini without It getting soggy?
Mushy Zucchini is not what you settle to eat after the labor. Crispy zucchini is what we look forward to. To achieve this, one must not overcook. If you are cooking zucchini or scattering, ensure to melt your butter and oil till the mixture becomes foamy, put the zucchini at this point. You will get a good whizz and you get a yummy zucchini.
How Do I know zucchini is properly cooked?
If you are sauteeing it cooking your zucchini, you have to be careful of cooking for too long. When zucchini is done, it changes to a more translucent appearance than opaque. It is usually better to also serve right after it’s done.
What Pan Should Be Used in Sauteing?
There’s usually a recommendation to use a non-stick pan to avoid sticking but for sauteing the reverse is the case. Using a non-stick pan in sauteeing makes it wi-fi to get that golden brown look. Largely, you can use a skillet, a non-stick one for sauteing, or whatever you owe. Ensure to take caution while doing so.
What Do I Serve With Zucchini?
Zucchini will go well with many meals as a side dish. It can also be easy as the main meal. You can serve it with a burger, grilled chicken dishes, pasta, and sandwiches.
Zucchini dishes are easy and quick. There are various way recipes for you to choose from.
Explore the recipes and never forget to add melted butter to your list as this gives your zucchini an explosive yumminess.
More from baking: