Frozen pizzas are a necessity in this day and age of hectic work nights and pizza nights. If you are one of the 203.13 million Americans who eat frozen pizza, you might wonder if they’re pre-cooked and need to be thawed and eaten immediately. Is it necessary to bake your frozen pizza? Continue reading to learn if frozen pizzas are pre-cooked.
Quick answer: No, frozen pizzas are not pre-cooked, the pie and toppings are pre-cooked and chances are germs and microbes are stuck to the raw ingredients, so you need to bake them first. Although some pizza companies pre-cook frozen pizzas for their customers, however, precooked or not, all frozen pizzas should be properly heated before consuming them.
This article contains every information you need about frozen pizzas, how to bake them, and cooking tips to help you enjoy the pizza.
Are Frozen Pizzas Precooked?
Some frozen pizzas are pre-cooked, while most frozen pizzas are not. Unless otherwise specified on the pizza package, it is best to look for signs indicating whether or not your frozen pizza is pre-cooked. Looking for indicators can help to determine how long your frozen pizza needs to be cooked for food safety.
The USDA recommends that you inspect the product to see if it is pre-cooked or not. We recommend that all frozen pizzas, whether pre-cooked or not, be heated before consumption. Bacteria that can cause food-borne illnesses will be destroyed during the heating process.
Uncooked frozen pizzas consist of par-baked dough, sauce, raw cheese, vegetables, and meat. While some ingredients are partially cooked and steamed, others are not and can cause illness if consumed.
Although you can eat the sauce, raw cheese, and vegetables, eating them with par-baked dough and partially cooked meat can cause stomach upsets such as diarrhea.
How To Cook Frozen Pizza
Follow these guidelines to cook your frozen pizza:
- If you don’t want to customize your pizza, follow the instructions on your frozen pizza box.
- Preheat the oven or grill to 450 °F. You should preheat your pizza stone or browning plate too.
- Brush the crust and the pizza stone with oil to produce a crispy crust.
- Add extra but not many toppings to your pizza to enhance the flavor of your pizza.
- Slide your frozen pizza into the middle of the oven or grill. Ensure you shut the door or lid properly.
- Depending on the size of the pizza and the toppings, cook your pizza for about 15-20 minutes.
- Use a pizza peel for easy pizza movement and to prevent mishaps when handling your pizza.
- Use a pizza cutter to get clean cuts from your pizza.
Cooking Tips For Frozen Pizza
We have provided these cooking tips to help you enjoy your frozen pizza:
- Use a pizza stone to get the best out of your pizza. Pizza stones help produce crispy crusts.
- Avoid cutting the pizza immediately after removing it from the oven to allow the cheese and toppings to set.
- Try arranging the toppings on your frozen pizza if they appear tilted or scattered.
- Depending on the kind of vegetable or topping, steam, soften, or roast the topping before adding them to the pizza.
- Preheat your oven for about 15 minutes at 450 °F before transferring your pizza.
- Ensure your pizza is cooked adequately before taking it out.
- Adding too many toppings will slow down the cooking process, and your pizza may be unevenly cooked.
- To customize your pizza, allow the pizza to thaw and remove all toppings before adding fresh toppings and baking.
- Add seasoning to enhance the flavor of your pizza.
- Use a timer to prevent your pizza from getting charred.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does frozen pizza last?
Frozen pizza will last for about two months, but it is best to stick to the use-by date recommended by the manufacturer.
How long does cooked pizza last?
Cooked pizza can be refrigerated for up to four days, while leftover pizza is safe for about two hours at room temperature.
What is the best method for heating pizza?
A conventional oven is the best way to heat or cook your pizza. Conventional ovens have the proper temperature to cook your pizza thoroughly.
Frozen pizza tastes best when baked at the proper temperature, for the appropriate amount of time, and with enough toppings. Always check the box of your frozen pizza to see if it has been pre-cooked.